Stripe is a secure payment gateway that allows for online credit card payments within Eventsforce. You must first create an account with Stripe by clicking here.
In order to accept online credit card payments via the Stripe payment gateway, the “Stripe” gateway must be included as part of your Eventsforce license. For more information, please contact your account manager or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Obtaining credentials in Stripe
To connect your Stripe account to Eventsforce you will need a “Publishable key” and a “Secret key”. You can get these keys by taking the steps below:
- Log into your Stripe account as a user with Administrator permissions
- Select “Developers” on the left hand side
- Select “API Keys” under ‘Developers’ on the left hand side
- Make note of the “Publishable key” (to be used later)
- Click “Reveal live key token” to display the “Secret key” (to be used later)
Note: The “Secret key” is secure and should be treated like a password. You also have the option to “Roll key…” which generates a new key, rendering the previous key invalid. Be sure to update Eventsforce if “Roll key…” is ever used.
Eventsforce setup and configuration
Once you’ve retrieved your credentials, log into Eventsforce and select the event that you want to collect online payments for and follow the steps below:
- Go to Setup > Event > Properties
- Select “Paid” in the ‘Options’ panel and click “Save”
- Go to Setup > Finance > Payment Methods
- Select the radio button for "Stripe"
- Click “Save” (this displays the fields for Stripe credentials)
- Paste the test ”Publishable key” and “Secret key” into the corresponding fields in Eventsforce
- In the "Organisation name:" field, enter the name you want to appear to the user on the Stripe page (the name of the event is displayed by default)
- If needed, select the checkbox to “Save card details as a Stripe customer” (click here to read more)
- Click “Save”
Creating a test registration
Once the test credentials have been added, we recommend creating a test registration to ensure Stripe is now linked to your Eventsforce event. Follow the steps below:
- Click the “Preview and test event website” icon
- When you reach the basket page, select “Credit card” as your payment method
- Click the "Pay Now" (if a payment details page is used, the button on the basket page will be "Proceed" and the button on the payment details page will be "Pay Now")
- The secure Stripe form will appear as a prompt to enter card details
- Enter the test card details into the form
- Click the "Pay" button
You should test multiple scenarios with test card credentials provided by Stripe, including successful and unsuccessful payments to ensure that you are getting the expected results (example: check that the automatic card payment acceptance and failure emails in Eventsforce are sending if active).
Read more about the “Remember me” option in our “Capture card details as a guarantee” article.
- User does not complete the Stripe form and closes the form or the browser window; their registration will not be completed and will therefore not be added to the Eventsforce database as a registration.
- User's card is declined; a message will be displayed to the user and Stripe will not process the payment.
- A user enters incorrect card details; Stripe will not process the payment and the field with the incorrect value will be highlighted.
Once all testing is complete, the last step is to “activate your account”, converting your “Test” Stripe account to a “Live” Stripe account. Follow the steps below to activate your account:
- Log into Stripe
- Select “Activate your account” on the top left
- Enter your business information, personal information, and bank details as required by Stripe
- Once your account is “Live”, replace the current test Stripe credentials in Eventsforce with your live “Publishable key” and “Secret key”