Note: As of March 2020, Sage Pay has been acquired by Elavon and has been renamed from "Sage Pay" to "Opayo". Eventsforce clients using Sage Pay can continue processing payments as they normally would. We would recommend clients currently using Opayo (Sage Pay) reach out to Opayo to inquire about any new functionality.
Opayo (Sage Pay) is a payment gateway that is integrated with Eventsforce and can be used to accept online credit card payments. This article walks you through how to obtain and configure your Opayo (Sage Pay) account, as well as configuring the settings for your Eventsforce event.
This article will cover the following topics:
- Setting up an Opayo (Sage Pay) account and configuration
- Adding Opayo (Sage Pay) required questions
- Activating Opayo (Sage Pay) in your Eventsforce event for testing
- Testing Credit Card Payments Using Opayo (Sage Pay)
- Failed Opayo (Sage Pay) transactions
- Creating a test user account
- Refunding a purchase
- Final steps and additional resources
In order to accept online credit card payments via the Opayo (Sage Pay) payment gateway, the “Sage Pay” gateway must be included as part of your Eventsforce license. For more information, please contact your account manager or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Setting up an Opayo (Sage Pay) account
To integrate Eventsforce with Sage Pay, please create a new vendor account by clicking here. During the application process, choose “Eventsforce Solution Ltd” as the “Partner”.
Opayo (Sage Pay) account configuration
Opayo (Sage Pay) will send an email containing a link to obtain your login details. Before clicking this link, ensure that you have your “Internet merchant account number” available. Please note the link can only be used once, so be sure to make a note of the details and keep them somewhere safe.
Once you have received the test account details from Opayo (Sage Pay), you will then need to check the Sage Pay test account and add a ‘Valid IP’ address:
- Login to Sage Pay (Opayo) test environment
- Click the “Settings” tab at the top
- Select “Valid IPs” on the left hand side and ensure the IP address 188.8.131.52 is listed
- If not listed, click the “Add” button in the bottom right corner of the list
- Enter the IP address 184.108.40.206
- Enter Subnet mask 255.255.255.255
- Enter an optional ‘Description’ (example: Eventsforce)
- Click “Add”
Adding Opayo (Sage Pay) required questions
When using Opayo (Sage Pay) to process online payments, the following questions must be on your registration page and be mandatory:
- address line 1
With regards to “Country”, you must use our standard list of countries. You must not replace or rename countries, such as changing “United Kingdom” to “UK”.
If the questions are not mandatory and are not completed during the registration process, the payment will not be processed and the status of the registrations will be "unpaid".
Note: If the selected country is “Ireland” the postcode will not be mandatory, however, "Country" and "Postcode" must be on the same registration page.
If a different invoice address is being used, the following fields will also need to be mandatory:
- Invoice Details Firstname
- Invoice Details Lastname
- Invoice Details Address Line 1
- Invoice Details Town
- Invoice Details Postcode
- Invoice Details Country
Activating Opayo (Sage Pay) in your Eventsforce event for testing
Take the steps below to add “Sage Pay” as a payment gateway in your event so that you can test that your Opayo (Sage Pay) account and Eventsforce event have been configured correctly:
- Go to Setup > Finance > Payment Methods
- Select “Sage Pay” as your payment gateway
- Click “Save” to display the Sage Page fields
- Select “Test Transactions Only”. The test mode is used to connect to the test Sage Pay server, this is not connected to any real bank accounts. Using this mode allows you to test the system without making real payments.
- Enter the “Sage Page Vendor Login Name” and “Sage Pay description” for each currency you plan on using (each currency must also be set up in your Sage Pay account)
- Click “Save”
Note: In order for Opayo (Sage Pay) to work in any mode, the event must be “Live”, otherwise Eventsforce blocks redirection from Opayo (Sage Pay). When “Live Transactions” is selected, the event will then be connected to the live Opayo (Sage Pay) server and any payments made will be real. The ”Test Transactions only” mode is used by Eventsforce to check that the Opayo (Sage Pay) interface is working correctly.
Testing Credit Card Payments Using Opayo (Sage Pay)
Important: You will need to make at least one payment using the Opayo (Sage Pay) test account before you can request a live account. Follow the steps below to create a registration and make payment:
- Click on the “+” icon in the top left corner of the Eventsforce admin portal
- Select “Registration”
- Proceed to the end of the registration
- On the checkout page, select “Credit Card” and then click “Pay Now”, you will be transferred to the Sage Pay page for payment
- If “Cancel” is selected at this stage, the user will be redirected back to the Eventsforce system receipt page and this will be considered a “failed card payment attempt”.
- Enter test credit card information, click here to view all test cards
- Select “Confirm card details” to view the summary screen
- Select the “Pay now” button” to process the payment (remember this is a test)
- Once the transaction is complete, the user will be redirected back to Eventsforce. The reference and auth code shown are those taken from Opayo (Sage Pay). Note the status is now shown as paid.
Failed Opayo (Sage Pay) transactions
The Opayo (Sage Pay) transaction will fail if one of the following occurs:
- Attendee cancels the Sage Pay transaction at any point
- Attendees exits the Sage Pay pages or closes the window at any point
- There was a problem processing the attendee’s card
If the transaction fails, the user is returned to Eventsforce, unless the browser is closed. The receipt page will show details of what the problem was. The status will be “Unpaid” and a “Retry” button will appear, redirecting them back to the Opayo (Sage Pay) payment screen when clicked.
Creating a test user account
Important: You will need to create at least one test user account before you can request a live account.
Initially, you will have logged in using the administrator account (the vendor name and user name will be the same). The administrator account can only be used to create and manage user accounts and change the settings. In order to view transactions, generate reports, and refund payments, you will need to create a user account:
- Login to the Sage Pay test environment
- Click the “Settings” tab at the top
- Select the “Users” tab to the left
- Click “New user” at the bottom right
- Add user details and set up the account privileges as per your requirements (you will need to enable “REFUND transactions” in order to progress with the “Refunding a Purchase” section below)
- Click “Add User”
Refunding a purchase
Important: You will need to refund at least one purchase before Opayo (Sage Pay) provides you with a “Live” account.
To refund a purchase, you must login as a user with refund privileges and take the steps below:
- Search for a test transaction using the ‘Search’ page OR find the transaction on the “Transactions” page
- When the transaction appears, click on the “+” icon
- Click the “Refund” link in the orange bar
- Add the refund value (automatically the same as the total payment)
- Enter the user password when prompted
- Click “Refund”
- Click “Ok”
Opayo (Sage Pay) Live Account
Once a test transaction is successfully processed and refunded, a trigger will be generated automatically to notify Opayo (Sage Pay) that the account should now be switched from “test” to “LIVE”. Shortly after, the account owner will receive an email confirming that the account has been switched.
Once the account has been made live, take the steps below:
- Login to Eventsforce
- Go to Setup > Finance > Payment Methods
- Select “Live Transactions” next to the Sage Pay settings
- Login to your live Sage Pay account
- Create a user in your live account using the same steps as “Creating a test user” above
- Go back to Eventsforce and complete a real transaction
- Go back to the live Sage Pay account and process a refund as you did in the “Refunding a purchase” section
- You are now ready to take real transactions
Once you have a live Opayo (Sage Pay) account, you can now activate Opayo (Sage Pay) in each event that will accept credit card payments. Follow the steps in “Activating Sage Pay in your Eventsforce event”, but select “Live Transactions” instead of “Test transactions Only”.
Opayo (Sage Pay) support: www.sagepay.co.uk/support