Prices can be applied to an event using a price descriptor or a basic price against a bookable item. Setting up a price descriptor will allow for more flexibility if you need to increase cost based on date of registration (example: early bird or late registration rates).
Finance pages will only be available in "Paid" events. If you do not see the "Finance" page under "Setup", make your event "paid" by following the steps below:
- Go to Setup > Event > Properties
- In the 'Options' section, select "Paid"
- Click "Save"
- The "Finance" pages are now available under the "Setup" menu option
Types of prices
Price descriptors can be used to add prices to your event, sessions, additional items, or cancellation prices. Price descriptors are best used when you want to add different rates based on dates, or specify a unique "invoice line item description".
When adding a price, you will be asked what the price applies to. Choose from the items below:
- Entire Event = price is automatically applied to each registration. If 'day selection' is used, this price gets applied when all days are selected. Only one "entire event" price can exist per event.
- Day Package = price is applied based on the specific day package chosen. Event managers can configure prices for specific day combinations, or by number of days chosen.
- General Price = price that can be linked to a bookable item, session, award category, or table booking. The price is created first, then linked to an item.
- Total Cancellations = cancellation fee that applies when the entire registration is cancelled.
Note: In addition to choose what the price applies to, you will also specify who the price applies to; attendees or guests. For more information about configuring guests, read our article "What are guests in Eventsforce?"
Adding a price descriptor
When ready to add a new price to your event, you can take the following steps:
- Go to Setup > Finance > Prices
- Click "Add"
- Enter a name to identify your price in "Price Descriptor Name:"
- Select an option in the list for "Who it applies to:"
- Select an option in the list for "What it applies to:"
- Enter the price in "Add New Price:" and select the start date of the price in "Date from"
- Enter a "Line item description" (this will be displayed on the basket page)
- Click "Save"
Note: If no "Line item description" is specified, the basket page and invoice will use the 'Question Text' of the database question the price is linked to.