Event managers can provide attendees with the ability to “unsubscribe” or “opt out” of receiving Eventsforce emails. When the event manager sends invitations or ad-hoc emails, anyone who has opted out or unsubscribed from email contact will be excluded by default.
When sending an ad hoc email, event managers will be notified if one or more people have unsubscribed from receiving emails. On the email confirmation screen, event managers will have the ability to include the unsubscribed people in the blast.
Note: Automatic emails do not take into account a person's email unsubscribed preference.
Event managers can allow attendees to unsubscribe in two ways:
- Asking an “unsubscribe” question within your registration process
- Providing an unsubscribe link in an email
Adding unsubscribe question to registration page
By adding an unsubscribe question to your registration page, attendees can indicate their preference during registration. Those who unsubscribe will still receive their confirmation email, but may not receive ad hoc emails sent later. You can add the “unsubscribed” question to your event by taking the following steps:
- Go to Website > Content > Registration Pages
- Click to ‘Edit’ the registration page that should contain this question
- Hover over ‘Add here’ and select “Registration Question”
- Search the database for “Unsubscribed” and select the question to add
- Add the question text as needed (example: Would you like to opt out of receiving emails?)
- Click “Save”
Adding unsubscribe link in email
Event managers can add an “unsubscribe link” to any email in their event. We suggest adding to your ad hoc emails, as these are the emails attendees can unsubscribe from. The unsubscribe link can be added by taking the following steps:
- Go to Communications > Ad Hoc
- Click to “Edit” the email you want to add the unsubscribe link to
- Method #1: Use the link list on the left and select “Unsubscribe link” at the bottom to generate a fully formed URL
- Method #2: Add your own text, highlight, then select “Insert/edit link” and choose “Main: Unsubscribe link” from the ‘Link list’ dropdown
- Click “Save”
What happens after unsubscribing?
Once an attendee has unsubscribed, their person profile in Eventsforce will show “True” for the “Unsubscribed” question:
This means the person WILL NOT receive invitation or ad hoc emails sent from any event in Eventsforce.
The person WILL still receive all automatic emails sent from events in which the person has registered.
Note: An event manager can edit the person profile and change the “Unsubscribed” status to “False” if requested by the person.